Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Dump Cake (try at your own risk)

When I first saw this recipe for DUMP CAKE in my Cake Mix Bible, I thought, hmmm...interesting.

I remembered seeing another version of this recipe in a book (100 TV free things to do with your toddler) I bought when TC was still small. Then, recently I saw yet another version of this in the Food issue of "Simple" magazine except it was called "Dolly Parton Dump Cake" (WTF?). Well, I decided to try it. It has the lovely name of Dump Cake because you are supposed to "dump" all the ingredients into the pan. If you like your desserts to resemble fruity slops, then this is the dessert for you. I made it for Christmas Lunch at my mom's. I ended up begging her to toss it. Not that it tasted bad (to others), but I didn't like how it looked (or tasted). The end result is kind of like a cobbler but more wet. Yeah, that sounds gross. Well, I tried it once. Seemed easy and it was. But...as Antoine Merriweather and Blaine Edwards from "Men on Film" would say, "Hated it!"

Dump Cake

Ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can blueberry filling
1 can cherry filling
1 stick of butter

Directions:

Dump the cake mix into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan
Actually, I poured it in nicely, anal person that I am. Then, pour the crushed pineapple, including the juice on top of the cake mix.
"Dollop" the cherry pie filling on top of the pineapple topping.
Here's the whole can of cherries plopped on top of the first two ingredients.
Next, you add the can of blueberry filling. Look appetizing yet?

This is what the dessert looks like so far.
Then you get out a stick of butter and cut it into pieces and dot it on top of this concoction.
Here's a close up...
This is the end result, a bubbling, oozing dessert.
Fruit slop or delicious dessert? You decide!
Warning: Perhaps I didn't soak the yellow cake mix layer enough with the pineapple, but parts of it were still powdery! Ugh! How could I have fked this up? Aargh!

No comments: