Sunday, November 11, 2007

Shrimp Pil Pil

Shrimp Pil Pil (Sizzling Shrimp)

(recipe courtesy of Everyday with Rachael Ray, "Hot on the Tail" page 82)

4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
Salt
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 loaf crusty bread, sliced


1. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper and paprika and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Season the srhimp with salt, add to the skillet and cook until opaque, 1 - 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.


2. Transfer the shrimp mixutre to a bowl and serve with the bread.

I made this recipe twice in one week. Yeah, bad for my husband's cholesterol levels. This is a classic Spanish tapa also known as gambas al ajillo (garlic shrimp). You can buy the smoked paprika at Pata Negra, the Spanish market next to Costa Brava (a Spanish restaurant) in Pacific Beach. When I bought it, it was on a lark but now I've been using it for other recipes like crazy. Well, try this recipe. It's pretty easy to do and it's very delicious!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhh! That looks sooooooooo good! Wow! This is a Rachael Ray recipe? Okay, I have to admit that no matter how many times I say she annoys me, there's just something about her cooking show that I seem to be strangely drawn to!

caninecologne said...

well, it was in the rachel ray magazine but she didn't concoct this recipe. it's actually a tweaking of a standard tapas recipe.