Sunday, April 15, 2007

Adobo-Flavored Pecans

This has got to be one of the nicest cookbooks I own on Flipino food. The author is Jennifer M. Aranas, a Filipina American and a former restaurateur from Chicago:

This recipe is one page 33, from the "Appetizers and Small Bites" chapter.

Adobo-Flavored Pecans (in this case, I also used walnuts & almonds as well
Ingredients:

2 cups of nuts
3 tbsp brown sugar
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp calamansi juice (substitute lime juice ---- I used key limes since I couldn't find any calamansi in the Filipino stores)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 325 F.

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mixt until the nuts are well coated.
Pour the nuts onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, separating the nuts as much as possible into a single layer.
Bake for 15 minutes until the nuts are golden brown.
Cool the nuts before handling, 10 - 15 minutes. They will be crispy with a brown shiny glaze.

This was my first batch of pecans only:
The second batch of almonds & walnuts:
Grinding the black pepper onto the nut mixture:
Fresh out of the oven:

TC helped mix the nuts. They came out pretty good, considering it was my first attempt (my 2nd attempt was just as good). This would be a good bar snack, but I don't drink beer. I don't think these nuts will last long in our house.

No comments: